Wednesday, May 29, 2013

somersaults belong in my past

Time and time again I'm reminded that I'm not the limber, flexible person I once was.  Sometimes it makes me sad feeling old and incapable, other times I could care less and go about my day unaffected.  The moments that hurt my ego as well as my body always seem to revolve around trying to impress Quinne.  Showing her how cool mom is and in return helping her do the same thing I just did.  This particular case ended up with me writhing in pain and cussing like a sailor.  

By the end of the day I sometimes run out of cool and fun things to do for Quinne.  I'm tired of reading the alphabet book and singing the wheel on the bus to her.  So I decided a lesson in gymnastics would buy us some time before dinner and bath so I took it upon myself to set up a miniature obstacle course in the living room and teach her some good life lessons.  Such as somersaults and hoop jumping and ball tossing.  Unfortunatly we made it to our first stop which was the somersault and it ended there.  My back spasmed in the middle of what I thought was perfect form and I was left laying on the ground ready to barf at the slightest move.  Thank goodness for some deep breaths and the will power to roll myself to the phone and dial my sister.  You see David was out of town and so was my mom, as luck would have it.  Monique was able to come down and save the day.  She bathed Quinne, put her to bed, put me to bed and we all hoped I would be better by morning.

But, of course I was worse off and my sister basically forced me to go to the hospital.  I hobbled my way into the waiting room apologizing to the nurses for looking like a homeless person and having bad breath.  Once they got me set up in a gown (which we all know is a gigantic sheet with a flimsy tie around the neck that would fit an elephant) and pumped me with pain pills David appeared out of nowhere and I broke down crying.  Seeing him there made me so happy and relieved.  I knew I'd be ok once I saw him there.  It's so cheesy I know, but really I was beyond happy!

To make this ridiculous story end at some point I should say that somersaults are not for everyone.  In my opinion gymnastics is highly overrated.  I pulled all my major muscles in my middle back around my spine and ribs.  Causing extreme pain to laugh, cough and take deep breaths.  Super cool.  It will take weeks to recover and I'm so disappointed in the thought of being in this pain for so long.  One of the greatest gifts in life is our health.  Actually, I think it is the greatest gift.  We can accumulate things that make us think we're happy.  We could get a high paying job and things we want come easily to us, but the one thing we can't buy is our health.  It's the most precious gift in life to receive and in moments when I'm bound to the bed, unable to wash my own hair I'm reminded of that precious gift.  And it's something I hope to never take for granted.







No comments:

Post a Comment