Wednesday, October 17, 2012

the party!

Originally we were not going to have a big first birthday for Quinne.  I didn't want to spend a bunch of money and have an overwhelming day of kids cracked out on sugar and so many new toys I wouldn't be able to fit them anywhere.  But, who am I kidding, I love to throw a party and this was a big deal.  We made it!  The baby days are behind us and new adventures are coming.  It's definitely a reason to celebrate.  But I wanted to stay true to who we are as parents and went for a quaint and fun afternoon.  Filled with friends and family.  And that's just what we did.  



This party never would've happened if it weren't for my mom and sister.  They did so much I can barely take credit for the party!  My sister did a lot of the decorations and helped my vision come to life.  I came home from work late on Saturday and she had strung streamers all throughout the house, along with strings of hearts she sewed!  Amazing!  

entry way 
cake eating headquarters
tiny hearts
decorator extraordinaire

The theme was milk and cookies.  Simple and delicious.  Now that Quinne is one she can have milk, and she really loves it so it was quite perfect.  My mom was amazing and helped so much with all the baking.  I love to bake so it was a fun and really good excuse to make so many yummy treats.  And taste testing is almost the best part!  All the cookies minus the sugar cookies were gluten free.  I have a few friends who don't eat gluten and Monique has syliac so everyone wins at this party!  I love setting up for parties and making the table stand out.  Over the years I've collected tea cups, trays, serving platters, and all things cute for years so the table had a vintage feel.  Which I love.  And instead of presents we asked everyone to look through their gently used toys and books to donate to the womens shelter.  They are always in need of things for the children that stay there, and when they get to leave they send them off with a care package.  So that was really neat to help out our community of women.  







The kids all had so much fun.  Running around like crazy kids and laughing all afternoon.  It's so exciting and fun for them and as adults it's just as much fun watching them be kids.  I really love taking that all in.  But my favorite part of the day was the birthday cake.  Of course.  Isn't that why we have first birthdays?  So the parents can celebrate their accomplishment of not killing each other, and watching a baby it cake.  I made a cake that was big for a baby, too big really.  It was funfetti flavor and had homeaid whipped cream all over it.  Yum!  I imagined what every parents wants to happen, her smashing her hands and face into the cake and causing a gigantic disaster.  That is not what we got.  Quinne was very cautious and picky about the cake in front of her.  She spread it around the tray and knocked over the top layer, only once or twice putting her fingers to her mouth to taste it.  And although it wasn't the picture I was imagining it was still so fun and adorable to watch.  All her kid friends were gathered around her and laughing at the silly things she was doing.  Once I realized she wasn't that into it I gave the kids forks and they dug in!  So much fun!

I'm in love with this cake


not really sure



curious little lady


digging in!



not the mess I was expecting :)

demolished 

All in all it was a really wonderful, sweet first birthday.  I'm happy we did this party for Quinne.  Even though she won't remember it I hope she looks back on it and smiles.  Knowing I wanted the day to be just so for my little girl.  





Your mama and dada love you very much Quinney Bear.  Happy birthday!

Love,
Noelle

1 comment:

  1. What a perfect day! The decorations look beautiful and the food sounds amazing! Noelle, I LOVE that you donated to the Women's Shelter. That is such a thoughtful thing to do. xo

    ReplyDelete