Thursday, May 10, 2012

to love

Being a parent awakes things inside of you that you didn't even know were sleeping.  You become ultra sensitive to the situations you are faced with and the decisions you make everyday.  Before having a little one my focus was basically Me.  Me and David, but more Me.  It's a sad and honest truth.  Now that Quinne is in my life I am forced to take a look at what I represent and how I want to teach her to be a good person.  It seems simple.  Teach your children to be good people.  To accept those who are different from you and respect the view that you might not agree with or understand.  Isn't that what makes people so unique and different from one another?  It's exciting learning new things and seeing a different perspective from others.  


This week North Carolina passed Amendment One.  Now I'm not going to stand on my soapbox and preach for or against gay marriage, but I am going to say that it makes me sad.  I'm sad that there are people so against others.  That there has to be laws against people who just want to be married.  I just don't understand how allowing gay marriage will ruin the sanctity of marriage between a man and woman.  My marriage to David will not be affected in anyway by allowing gay marriage.  I believe in Jesus.  I believe in the Bible.  I'm not a Bible wizard and am not going to list a bunch of verses that back up what I am trying to say.  All I know is that we were not given the task to judge our fellow man.  That is up to God.  And we are called to love others.  We do not have to agree with them, but we do need to love and treat everyone with respect.  Regardless of sexual orientation, religion, race.  


I want to teach Quinne to be a kind person.  To look deeper than the surface when she meets people in her life.  To learn to love unconditionally.  And it starts with David and me.  We have been given the task to teach her these important lessons in life.  To raise her in a positive and loving home, teaching her that all were created equal.  All I hope for is that she will be happy.  That she will be a good and kind friend.  That she will look past the differences in others and show them love.  It starts with me and I hope that my life is an example of all these things.  


Love, 
Noelle

No comments:

Post a Comment